Dave writes about his secret places today at Via Negativa. With his cooperation, I'd like to start a collection of similar stories here. Fellow nature-lovers, please share your stories online and send me links— it'll be kind of an impromptu carnival for kids who grew up in nature. (Years ago I wrote a small essay, unseen by anyone. If I can find it, I'll post that too.) (Links open in a new window.)
- The Hawthorn Place at Via Negativa
- A Kid in the Woods at Foothills Fancies
- Last Children in the Woods? at Marcia Bonta
- Hawthorn Magic at Poplar Road (also inspired by Dave's post)
- The Old Wooden Heart at Factorytown
- Special Things Hide Outside at A Sylvan Dream
For many, childhood experience may not have been in a literal woods, but whatever the environment that inspired imagination and discovery, we invite you to share it. Place is important to all of us. Where were you, and how did it shape your life?