Thursday, February 14, 2008

Childhood in Nature: A Collection

We often find, beneath the crunchy shell of an aspiring or accomplished naturalist, a kid who grew up "in the woods." That the woods of childhood are a mythic place of adventure and inspiration seems to be a given.

Dave writes about his secret places today at Via Negativa. With his cooperation, I'd like to start a collection of similar stories here. Fellow nature-lovers, please share your stories online and send me links— it'll be kind of an impromptu carnival for kids who grew up in nature. (Years ago I wrote a small essay, unseen by anyone. If I can find it, I'll post that too.) (Links open in a new window.)


For many, childhood experience may not have been in a literal woods, but whatever the environment that inspired imagination and discovery, we invite you to share it. Place is important to all of us. Where were you, and how did it shape your life?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fred Garber's post might qualify:
http://factorytown.blogspot.com/2008/02/thw-old-wooden-heart.html

William J. Minehart III said...

Childhood Nature Experiences are so formative. Here is a link to a recent post I have made to my blog. It is part three of a series detailing my early life.

http://williamminehart.blogspot.com/2008/02/early-life-part-three-finding-nature.html

William J. Minehart III said...

Actually here is the correct post I meant to refer people to.

Early Life - Special Things Hide Outside.

http://williamminehart.blogspot.com/2008/02/early-life-part-two-special-things-hide.html

SLW said...

Thanks, William. I was just putting up the link to your 1st post, when the 2nd one arrived. Both are worth checking...